pr & marketing comms
what we could do for you
help you with your media & pr! includes...
- marketing and communications planning.
- Communications protocol workshops - develop high performing communication frameworks for business; build effective outcome orientated communication to drive better business performance.
- product launches.
- develop and manage media releases and their targeted distribution, media training and media relations services.
- Understand and help with online social networking
- media crisis planning and management.
- brand development and management.
- design and production services - brochures, newsletters and web strategies.
- John and enthuse have vast experience in tourism and sports related marketing and media communicatons, especially cycling and multi-sport.
John McKenzie from enthuse has a wide range of media and event experience and skills, and there’s good reason his business is named enthuse. John is passionate and very enthusiastic about delivering for his clients, whether it’s a media campaign or event and entertainment. John helps his clients successfully talk to and with their audiences. He understands what may work and what may be effective and has the media network and contacts to get his clients heard
Lincoln Booth, General Manager Cookie Time
What effects does enthuse services have on the lives and work of its clients?
- Give the client a voice; gets their company and its message mentioned in the media; a feel good factor about the company, its brand and profile. Key achievements heard.
- Give clients a profile that is seen as successful, honest, important, exciting and relevant. Media coverage generated over and above paid advertising has the advantage of third-party validation and is viewed more favourably.
- Main focus the generation and distribution of media releases with associated social media support.
- Can include special events designed for public and/or staff profile and media relations.
- More of an integrated approach than just the generation and distribution of media releases with associated social media support. More input into the integration of a PR strategy into strategic marketing. Focus on client’s brand, overall messaging and social media strategy. Includes Crisis public relations strategies and potentially sponsorship and community programmes.
some of our work has included...
Cycling - The Santos Tour Down Under
John has travelled to the WorldTour Cycling event the Santos Tour Down Under in Adelaide Australia in January hosted by South Australia Tourism nine times. He got to to ride a fair bit and with media accreditation has got up close and personal with many of the riders. He has met, interviewed and ridden with the international voice of cycling Phil Liggett and many of the pro riders and believes Adelaide and its surrounding region has some of the best cycling in the world. John covered the event for NZ Road Cyclist magazine (as it's editor) checkout some of his video blogs
Kathmandu Coast to Coast
John manages the media/pr for the Kathmandu Coast to Coast. He has been successful in gaining very good pre event coverage as well as great coverage during and after the iconic race, especially on both televison channels for example: Coast to Coast enters new era
TVNZ coverage for the Coast to Coast: August 2015 - Coast to Coast legends help Christchurch students achieve; George Berry's TVNZ story
Some feedback from Richard Ussher, event director
John and enthuse were engaged by the Coast to Coast to manage the PR and media side of the 2015 race. Johns roles included engaging NZME as a media partner, identifying and developing a wide range of stories leading up to and during the event and managing the wider media contingent at the event. John was also excellent at creating engaging video clips and social media strategies which worked really well for keeping our online content fresh and engaging. John also MC’d a number of areas including the prize giving where his experience shone through, keeping it engaging, topical and professional. John brought a huge amount of enthusiasm to the role and constantly brought new ideas and a great energy to the project, we are extremely happy with the results of his efforts. We have engaged John and enthuse again for the 2016 event and are looking forward to another productive and exciting year with him on board.
Tour de France
John has been lucky to travel to the Tour de France as part of his role as Editor of NZ Road Cyclist. Check out his video riding Alp d'Huez on race day. Loads of Dutchmen, music, sights and sounds as hundreds of thousands pack the 21 switchbacks of the famous climb. He covered the event extensively for NZ Road Cyclist and travelled with Kiwi Style Bike Tours.
enthuse has several clients retaining its services for marketing communications, media and PR support, including:
- Spot On Exhibitions; owners of the Covi SuperShow, NZ's largest motorhome expo
- Ultimate Event Productions; owners of the Kathmandu Coast to Coast
- Revolution Events; elite, masters and women's Calder Stewart Cycling Series
some of our successes include...
- Popular cycling event Le Race is the first sporting event to be welcomed back into the heart of Christchurch after the earthquakes. enthuse was successful in getting the annoucement made on TVNZ.
- enthuse got great TV news coverage for software company Shuttlerock, as they came to terms with attracting pop superstar Lady Gaga who used their software to connect with her enormous fan base.
- enthuse had a very succesful media launch for a world first for its client Black Cat Cruises with TVNZ. The image of James Bond stepping out of a wet suit with a dry tuxedo underneath became a reality for Black Cat Cruise's Akaroa dolphin swimming operation in July this year. Check out the media story with TVNZ reporter Jack Tame doing his best James Bond impersonation.
- enthuse also has worked with Campbell Live on several stories for clients including Black Cat Cruise's efforts to save dwindling numbers of the white flippered penguinin Canterbury and Brandex's airbag system that can save lives in avalanches.
- We were very proud and privileged to manage the media and pr for the Dyslexia Foundation of New Zealand last year. We managed media coverage of the launch of New Zealand's first dyslexia Awareness Week, the opening of a world class, first in the world, Dyslexia Discovery Exhibit in the heart of Christchurch featuring original sculptures by internationally renowned English artist Mackenzie Thorpe and Weta Workshop designer Richard Taylor, and the unveiling in Christchurch of four giant monumental bronze sculptures created by Mackenzie Thorpe.
- Media coverage included Close Up, Breakfast, Good Morning, Campbell Live, Nightline, Attitude TV (TV1 Sundays), national news on TV1 and TV3 and national daily newspapers, magazines and radio.
- enthuse is very proud to have played its part in getting The Ministry of Education to change its position and accept dyslexia as a term to recognise students with a range of persistent reading and writing difficulties or disabilities. Media pressure and profile played a huge part in getting The Ministry to commit to implementing a whole range of initiatives to increase the level and quality of assistance given to students with serious reading and writing problems. Watch this space! Would you like to join the Dyslexia Foundation of New Zealand?
enthuse has a successful track record of working with print, web, radio and television media to get its client's messages and information heard.
Thank you for all your work and professionalism that you added to the Elite Cycling series that saw an outstanding finale. A six race series over 6 months and across the South Island with New Zealand’s top athletes was always going to have some challenges but you didn’t disappoint. Ongoing media releases pre and post event appeared in all the local papers as well as all the online websites and news portals. Rider interviews leading upto and on the day were no hassle. Updates, tweets, online videos, coveritlive, twitter, facebook and social cam are all now common phrases amongst my team thanks to your introduction. Of course we needed two of you as whilst you were out on course we missed your MC work at the finish line always awaiting your early arrival to get the crowd enthused. Your knowledge and research of the riders was great and although the brief didn’t mention it your voice and professionalism at prize giving was outstanding and we really did appreciate you going above and beyond. Thanks once again from my team, the riders, managers and their teams for a successful Elite Cycling Series. We will be sure to use your enthuse team for our next event.
Simon Hollander and the Tailwind Events crew.
Thank you so much for the work you have done for me in relation to my Youtube promotional video, branding and integration for my website. My expectations have genuinely been exceeded as to what I thought the overall result would be and I also know that liaising with my clients during the production was a good experience for them too. I will definitely continue to use you as I develop my promotional – marketing strategies. Thank you very much you are clearly at the top of your game!
Foss Shanahan, Harcourts Gold Real Estate
During the first 6 months of 2007 John and enthuse were engaged to help develop and lead our public relations strategy aimed at increasing the awareness of dyslexia and having it recognised by the New Zealand Government. His clarity of thought, his persistance & determination, his commitment - to say nothing of his enthusiasm - resulted in our aim being acheived and a whole lot more. John delivered 100%.
Guy Pope-Mayell, Trustee Cookie Munchers Charitable Trust and Dyslexia Foundation of NZ
We asked John from enthuse to help us with promoting our World Environment Day events, he was superb. He quickly grasped exactly what was needed and was able to apply his fertile imagination to marketing and public relations activities. With his knowledge and experience in marketing he was able to negotiate some extremely good deals and engage some powerful players to assist. I would happily engage John again for similar work.
Bill Simpson, Communications & Relations Manager, Environment Canterbury
- Specialist marketing communications and pr professionals with an award winning track record.
- enthuse can assist with creative event development and management.
Events where enthuse has provided media and pr support include Kathmandu Coast to Coast, World Environment Day, Hearing Awareness Day, Benchmark Homes Elite Cycling Series, Covi SuperShow, Le Race, NZ Lawn Tennis Championships, Around Brunner Cycle event, Harrex Group Corporate Pursuit and the Montana Christchurch Winter Carnival.
Media and pr clients have included Black Cat Cruises, Brandex (importers of SKINS and Atomic Skis) and the Subway Pro Cycling Team.
- Vast tourism background and understanding of the tourism industry with an award winning track record.
Provide motivational sales training - helped smash Cookie Time's xmas Cookies sales targets in 05 and again in 06!
Provide professional voice, presenter, and MC services
- Having an understanding of the requirements of marketing activity and its fit with communications, public and media relations work is essential for successful business today. enthuse's chief enthusiast John McKenzie is a trained journalist with a marketing degree tucked away with work experience in nz and overseas that covers marketing, sales, pr and events - a very unique combination that can add some real value!
Three very important questions to think about:
- where are you now?
- where do you want to be?
- how will you get there?
how will you get there? enthuse can run workshops with staff, and develop marketing communications and media strategies.
Development of a marketing communications plan would cover issues, target audiences, key messages, strategies and implementation. Management and distribution of media releases can be included as part of this communications plan.
Understanding brand values are increasingly important - aligning staff values with a company's brand values is vital. How well do you know your own brand - company and personal?
- branding defines us
- reminds us of who we are
- a unique visual signature
- personality and style... but that's not all...
- You end up with what you deserve - what do you deserve?
enthuse offers brand development development and support and runs specialist brand development workshops and presentations.
John's 'You are your Brand' presentation has been very well received throughout NZ at over 30 conferences and events.
John’s personal branding presentation is motivating, stimulating and very informative. It has been with complete confidence John has presented on Westpac’s behalf at numerous conferences and the feedback has been fantastic. He relates very well to his audience, does his homework beforehand and always delivers. I have no hesitation in recommending John McKenzie as a motivating, entertaining and enthusiastic speaker and presenter.
David Gopperth, National Sales Manager Broker Channel Westpac NZ Ltd